Established: c.479 A.D
Population: 1, 118, 035
Area Code: +995 32
Direct flights to Tbilisi are available from many European and Asian cities.
Non-stop flights can be taken from Amsterdam, Munich, Riga, Vienna, Frankfurt. Prague, Paris, Warsaw, Istambul, Dubai, Tel-Aviv, Athens, Baku, Moscow, Yekaterinburg, Kiev, Minsk, Alma-Ata, Astana, Aktau, Tehran and Urumqi.
Daily buses mainly to Tbilisi depart from Baku, Istanbul, Ankara, Trabzon, Yerevan.
Railway connections are available from Azerbaijan and Armenia.
Istanbul is the main hub connecting Tbilisi International Airport to the world’s main cities
Tbilisi is the capital of Georgia and lies in the Eastern part of the country in the foothills of the Trialeti mountain range. According to Georgian legends, it was founded in the 5th century by King Vakhtang Gorgasali.
Tbilisi is the center of politically, culturally, economically and socially.
Tbilisi is welcoming businessmen, politicians and tourists from all the country.
Tbilisi is one of the great treasure of world cities, with so many cultures and conquests leaving their mark.
King Vakhtang Gorgasali erected the first church here in the 5th century when he started to build this new capital city. The metekhi Church pf Assumption dates back to c.1278 but it has been damaged and restored several times since.
An ancient citadel overlooking the capital and the mtkvari river. In the 4th century the fortress was knonw as Shuris-tsikhe (“Invidious Fort”) and was considerably expended by the umayyads in the 7th century and later, by king David the Builder. Te Mongols renamed it “NarinQala” (“Little fortress”in Persian)
It is situated on historic Sionis Kucha (Sioni Street) in downtown Tbilisi, with its eastern façade fronting the right embankment of the Mtkvari River. It was initially built in the 6th century and has been restorted many times since. Sioni Cathedral was the main Georgian Orthodox Cathedral and the seat of Catholicos-Patriarch of all Georgia until the Holy Trinity cathedral was consecrated in 2004.
The Kashveti Church of St. George
A Georgian Orthodox church in central Tbilisi, opposite the parliament building on Rustaveli Avenue. The name “kashveti” has unusual story behind it. Legend has it that the prominent 6th Century monk David of Gareja, of the thirteen Assyrian fathers, was accused by a woman of making her pregnant in Tbilisi. David prophesied his denial would proved when she gave birth to a stone. She did, and the place received the name of k(v)ashveti” derived from the Georgian “kva” for “stone” and “shva” “to give birth.
No visit to Tbilisi is complete without a visit to the world famous sulfur Baths, located in Old Tbilisi. Known of their calming, relaxing effect, a deep sulfur feeds the city with naturally heated mineral water, and bath houses have proliferated here for over a thousand years, offering residents and visitors the opportunity to wash away the stresses of the day.
The eight angled Minaret of the mosque draws attention from afar, but each side shows a slightly different view. Today, this mosque serves Shia as well as Sunni Muslims which is extremely rare, as its peaceful proximity to the many churches and synagogues of Tbilisi.
The Holy Trinity Cathedral of Tbilisi commonly known is sameba. Sameba is the main cathedral of the Georgian Orthodox church. Its located in Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia. Constructed between 1995 and 2004, it is the third tallest Easter Orthodox cathedral in the world and one of the largest religions building in the world by total area. Sameba is a synthesis of traditional styles dominating the Georgian church architecture at various stages in history and by some Byzantine undertones.
This recently renovated museum houses hundreds of thousands of Georgian and Caucasian artefacts of archaeology and cultural ethnography. Its highlight, the amazing Gold Treasure, is unique collection of pre-Christian Goldsmith pieces from between 3dr century BC to the 4th century AD. The hall of the Soviet Occupation displays archive documents, photos and videos from short –lived independence between 1918 and 1921 through the soviet Occupation until the army crackdown in 1989 and finally, Georgia’s declaration of Independence in 1991. On the upper levels there is a superb collection of photos of Georgia and the Caucasian region taken in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. There incredible early photos, taken by the famous photographer Dimitri Ermakoband, documents the great variety of people and places in the Caucasus and asia Minor and the time. The National Gallery displays 20th century Georgian masterpieces.
Rustaveli Avenue is the main artery of Tbilisi and starts at Freedom Square. This elegant tree lined Avenue was built in the 19th century, when M>S Vorontsov was a ruler of Georgia. The Avenue was divided into two parts, Palace Street and the Golovini Avebnue, but in 1918 it was re-named after Shota Rustaveli, the auther of Georgia’s most famous poem, “the knight in the Panther’s skin”. Today, it is where the citizens and visitors to Tbilisi come to stroll at the end of the day – a throwback to the 18th century when the famous came to see and be seen on this beautiful Avenue.
Straddling the Mtkvari river in Tbilisi, Georgia, is a new pedestrian bridge, courtesy of Italian architect De Lucchi and French lighting director Philippe Martinaud. The 150m structure is composed of glass and steel and connects Otld Tbilisi with new district. The bridge provides a unique view of Old Tbilisi. It also possesses an interactive light display system with 30.000 LEDs and 240 sensors installed within the structure able to convey specific messages, scrolled across the two parapets of the bridge every hour. According to the Georgian President, Mikheil Saakashvili the Peace Bridge is a symbol of Georgia’s journey from the past to the better, brighter future.
The new recreation complex on Rike Square covers 10 hectares in the historic district of Tbilisi. It features a map of Georgia in within regions are connected to each another via pedestrian pathways. There is an Amphitheatre an children’s square too. The Park is distinguished with its dancing and musical fountains, designed by a Spanish architect.
The Tbilisi Botanical Garden covers many hectares of the Tsavkisis Tskali gorge. AGarden has stood here since 1625 when it was part of the palace (fortress) garden. All year round one can see unusual and beautiful plants, a 40 metre high waterfall and a small bridge across the river. An, alternative, unusual main entrance is on Asatiani Street between house numbers 28 and 30 where you enter the garden via a tunnel.
No tours were found matching your selection.